Does the perfect natural skin care routine really exist? Let's dive in and find out.
Is a natural skin care what your beauty routine has been crying out for? In this article we will discuss what natural skin care is, the benefits of natural skin care, natural skin care tips and products as well as provide a foundational day time routine and night-time routine to get you started.
What is natural skin care?
Natural skin care is a holistic approach to maintaining healthy and radiant skin through the use of products and techniques derived from nature. Natural skin care places a strong emphasis on the active ingredients; avoiding synthetic chemicals and preservatives. Instead, harnessing the power of botanicals, vitamins, and minerals. Organic or natural skin care does not use lab-made ingredients, focussing exclusively on actives that are naturally found in nature.
Often, the terms natural skin care and clean skin care are used interchangeably, however there are some key differences between the two. As highlighted above, natural skin care focusses on naturally derived ingredients and avoids anything synthesised in a lab. In contrast, clean beauty will often use synthetic ingredients, with a focus on ingredients that are safe and have minimal environmental impact.
We can also think of natural skin care as nutrition (the foods we choose to eat) and ingestible beauty supplements by recognising that what you put into your body has a direct impact on your skin. This approach embraces the concept that beauty is more than skin deep and encompasses the interplay between topical and ingestible factors.
Benefits of natural skin care and skin care tips
Natural skin care offers several benefits, both for your skin's health and the environment.
- Gentle Yet Effective: Natural ingredients can be gentler on the skin, reducing the risk of irritation, making it suitable for a wide range of skin types, especially sensitive skin.
- Reduced Environmental Impact: Many natural skin care products use sustainable sourcing and biodegradable packaging, reducing their environmental footprint.
- Nutrient-Rich: Natural ingredients often contain essential vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals that promote skin health.
Natural skin care products
Choosing the right products is crucial in a natural skin care routine. Opt for products with minimal ingredients and ensure that the brand you are choosing is transparent about their ingredient list. Avoid harsh chemicals and artificial fragrances. It’s important to note that as natural skin care products often do not contain preservatives, there can be an increased risk of microbial overgrowth. Try to use these products quickly, store them correctly and ensure your hands are clean before touching and applying the product.
Natural skin care routine
Here is a simple natural skin care routine that would be suitable for most skin types. Of course, for a tailored routine based on your individual skin and beauty goals, please speak to your trusted beauty professional.
- Cleansing: Begin with a gentle natural cleanser to remove impurities without stripping your skin of its natural oils. This will also help to maintain the integrity of your skin barrier which is vital for hydration.
- Toning: Use a natural, gentle toner to balance your skin's pH and prepare it for the next steps.
- Serums: Apply a high-quality serum with antioxidants like vitamin C and E to protect your skin from environmental damage like UV radiation.
- Moisturising: Use a natural moisturiser to lock in hydration and follow with a high SPF sunscreen (we recommend SPF 50+) to shield and protect against UV rays.
- Cleansing: Cleanse again to remove makeup, leftover sunscreen, environmental pollutants, and accumulated impurities.
- Serums: Apply a hydrating serum with ingredients like hyaluronic acid and vitamin C.
- Eye Cream: Use a natural eye cream to address specific concerns like dark circles or fine lines.
- Night Cream: Finish with a heavier, nourishing, night time moisturiser that will leave your skin soft and plump. For those with concerns around fine lines and wrinkles, you may want to incorporate a natural retinol (vitamin A) here too for maximum anti-ageing benefits.
Skin care supplements
Skin care supplements and ingestible beauty play an important role in designing a natural skin care routine. Taking a bidirectional approach to skin care is key for best results. Aside from supplements, your daily nutritional choices will also play an important role in your skin health. Focus on fresh whole foods like fruits and vegetables, wholegrains, olive oil, legumes and lean proteins.
Key ingredients to consider in your skin care supplements include:
- Hydrolysed Marine Collagen Peptides: A natural anti-ageing powerhouse, sourced from the skin of fish. An abundance of scientific research shows that collagen supports skin's elasticity and hydration, whilst reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: An under-appreciated skin care supplement when it comes to optimising skin health. Omegas help to reduce inflammation (particularly in acne and eczema) and maintain the skin's lipid barrier.
- Vitamins A, C, E and SOD: These potent antioxidants are essential for skin repair and protect against oxidative stress generated from sun and UV exposure.
- Grapeseed: Grapeseed is extremely rich in antioxidants compounds called proanthocyanidins, which have a wide range of benefits, including enhancing skin health. They can improve blood flow which is important for oxygen and nutrient delivery to all layers of the skin, reduce oxidative stress and may even work synergistically with hydrolysed marine collagen to support collagen and bone synthesis.
A natural skin care routine offers numerous benefits for your skin and the environment. By choosing products rich in natural ingredients and integrating both topical and ingestible approaches, you can achieve healthier, more radiant skin.